Monday, February 9, 2009

I'm a Loser, Baby, So Why Don't You Kill Me


It only happens about . . . oh once every twenty years or so that I win something. I mean I was competing against other people and I was randomly selected to win. It's not the same as those silly scratch-off tickets in which you win--another ticket--or $2.00 (to buy more tickets).

Let me set the scene for you . . .

The ad: Instead of treating the one you love to the typical dinner-and-a-movie fare this Valentine's Day, why not think outside the box of chocolates and enjoy a night out with the romantic sounds of ________?

I thought, what the hell--I'll never win. I never win. I'm a loser, baby. I click-clacked my personal information in the boxes imagining all the possible suitors who may be available (that would be none). But believing (slightly) in the law of attraction, I imagined that if I will those tickets into my life, perhaps I can will a date as well. Psychosis talking. Now imagine my consternation when I received a call earlier today informing me that I won. Two tickets.

And do I still want them? Yes, of course (I'm still hopeful and psychotic).

Pick them up at 7:00; the show starts at 8:00.

Why yes, it's a romantic rendezvous--and the show isn't until Saturday. Surely with my romantic life being at a all time high, I will find a date, right? Yes, sitting here in my house I will find a date. I WILL myself a date; I can send vibes out to the tri-state area imploring unsuspecting single men that I want to go to the concert and not ask my mom or best friend instead. You see, I avoid Valentine's Day. I imagine it doesn't exist. It's reserved for "others"--I, on the other hand, am an unwilling spectator.

And now, Monday night . . . I think oh I'm a loser baby. I should have said, hey give them to a happily and joyously in love couple, more deserving than I. I can't stomach going by myself or with friends.

My plan: Wednesday I will call and tell them to please give those tickets to a couple. I will listen to the CD and get wasted on chocolate. Bah.









No comments: